Out of stock, new edition in preparation.
This book builds on Claudia Orange’s award-winning Treaty of Waitangi, using a wonderful range of photographs, maps and paintings to bring the Treaty’s history to life.
Depictions of key players and moments sit alongside a clear and informative text that helps explain the history of this key document. Two peoples meeting, agreements made and broken, claims and protests: all are a part of the story of the Treaty from before its signing to the present day. Never before have the Treaty’s varied stories been made so accessible the general reader.
1. An Independent Land – New Zealand to 1840
2. The Treaty of Waitangi – 1840
3. A Matter of Mana – 1840 to 1870
4. Colonial Power and Māori Rights – 1870 to 1900
5. Into the Twentieth Century – 1900 to 1975
6. New Departures – 1975 to 1987
7. The Roller-coaster Years – 1987 to 1990
8. A Decade of Claims – the 1990s
9. Into the Twenty-first Century
Appendix One: Texts of the Treaty of Waitangi
Appendix Two: Treaty Signatories
Appendix Three: Iwi Locations, 2001
Appendix Four: Māori Land, 1860–1939
Appendix Five: Waitangi Tribunal Timeline